This Why Social Media? lesson plan also includes:
Is social media the best way to convey news in your school? Young journalists dig deep into the social media question in the second of 16 lessons from The Social Media Toolbox. After learning about the relationship between social media and First Amendment rights, groups discuss the pros and cons of using social media in their own school's news format.
- Provide examples of good and bad social media outcomes in terms of major news organizations
- Have groups create example tweets or Facebook posts of current events around the school
- If time is an issue, consider inviting news professionals from the area to class for a large-group interview session
- The lesson plan is thoughtfully prepared and contains a number of helpful resources
- Interviews bring a realistic touch to a well-rounded lesson