This The Computer and Turing: Crash Course History of Science #36 video also includes:
Computers have changed the world but how have computers themselves changed? A Crash Course History of Science episode focuses on the the history of the computer. It opens with defining what a computer is and continues by introducing the great thinkers, engineers, and scientists who worked to develop what we now know as a computer. The video includes both positive and negative aspects in addition to multiple social and political issues surrounding computers.
- Discuss the controversy surrounding Turing's death
- Highlight the original meaning of computer—someone who computes, usually a woman
- Share the movie Hidden Figures
- Relies on prior knowledge of computers, the Internet, sexism, racism, and homophobia
- Connects history, science, technology, sociology, politics, and more
- Provides subtitles for visual learners