This Navigation in the Ancient Mediterranean and Beyond lesson plan also includes:
Ancient texts, like Homer's Odyssey, mentions navigating ships by observing constellations. Pupils learn about the link between history and astronomy as they relate to navigation in the Bronze Age. Scholars complete two hands-on navigational activities using stars' and constellations' movement across both the northern and southern sky.
- Research the relationship between the tide and phases of the moon
- Download the Excel spreadsheet on each computer before starting the activity
- Relies on prior knowledge of using latitude and longitude to define a position, simple calculations, graphical constructions, and Excel spreadsheets
- Provides cross-curricular connections to history, geography, math, science, and more
- Uses both ancient and modern technology to accomplish the same feat