This Reporting with Social Media lesson plan also includes:
What does it take to create news stories that are both informative and objective? Aspiring journalists walk the line between engagement and activism with lesson 15 of a 16-part series titled The Social Media Toolbox. Grouped pupils examine how local publications use social media and research methods that make the most of a social media presence.
- Invite local journalists to share their social media experiences and tips with the class
- Have individuals practice identifying word choices that may indicate bias
- Students need Internet access throughout the lesson
- The resource stresses the importance of both entertainment and ethics in journalism
- Learners gain insight into local and regional social media use, which is helpful in making decisions for their own organizations