This Sports for Social Change lesson plan also includes:
After watching a short online film about a soccer player Nolusindiso Plaatje and his help with the Grassroot Soccer program, a community education effort aimed at spreading awareness about HIV/AIDS prevention, use a lesson plan to prompt reflection on the relationship between sports, education, and engagement. Prompts included are for individual writing, small group work, and full class discussion.
- This is a great example of how team sports are used to effect positive change, but it's also worthwhile to explore potentially negative impacts of team dynamics (e.g. peer pressure)
- The video is fairly long (almost 20 minutes); consider having pupils watch it the night before instead of playing it in class
- Resource may be particularly engaging for those passionate about sports
- There is a good variety of activities oriented around the video
- The resource may not be particularly engaging for students that are not athletic or interested in sports