Even with complex quotients, there is still more than one way to simplify an expression. The narrator of a short shows two methods of simplification when dealing with expressions with negative exponents. One method follows the more familiar order of operations, while the other removes the negative exponents first. Pupils watch both methods to determine which one works best for them.
- Have individuals come up with other expressions that are equivalent
- Generate a list of reasons for each step and compare the two methods
- The class should be comfortable with the rules for exponents
- Shows each individual step
- Uses colors to highlight negative exponents