This The Legacies of Reconstruction lesson plan also includes:
The final lesson in the seven-resource Reconstruction Era collection examines the legacies of Reconstruction. Class members investigate why the period has been called an "unfinished revolution," "a splendid failure," and "the second American Revolution."
- The resource may be used in the classroom or as a remote learning activity
- Pause the 13-minute video frequently to permit viewers to read the commentary on the screen, check for understanding, and ask questions
- A video of Bryan Stevenson's "We Need to Talk About an Injustice" TED Talk is available on the internet
- Asks pupils to make connections between the Reconstruction era and the contemporary United States
- Challenges individuals to consider what responsibilities they have for helping to create a better society