Solving equations is the groundwork for all of algebra. A video presentation explains the steps for solving an equation with variables on both sides. Using a different color for each step, the instructor shows how to manipulate the equation to isolate the variable. He emphasizes the use of inverse operations every step of the way.
- Follow the video with whiteboard practice to check for understanding
- Have pupils solve the equation horizontally instead of vertically to reinforce inverse operations
- Requires a strong understanding of inverse operations
- Includes a step for checking the solution
- Begins with an explanation of the steps of solving an equation