Avoid the horror of readers straining to recall details of Joseph Conrad's complex Heart of Darkness. Instead provide scholars with a frame for their note taking. As they read, class members record evidence to support their responses to 10 reading prompts in an active reading journal.
- Present the Active Reading Journal assignment at the beginning of the unit so that pupils can record evidence as they read
- Model how to create an entry or save and project an entry from previous years
- As a practice exercise for the AP exam, have scholars use the information in their journals to respond to the 2016 or 2018 English Literature and Composition Free Response Question
- Designed for an advanced or AP level language arts class
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website.It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The prompts focus readers' attention on key elements and themes of the novel
- Although there is no rubric, the assignment sheet is detailed and very specific about what is required