Symmetry shows up in equality. Pupils view four examples as the presenter determines whether the equations have symmetry about the x-axis, the y-axis, and the origin. Each equation has at least one type of symmetry. The video works through each of the tests for the three types of symmetry to determine which one each equation is.
- Lead a brainstorming session on aspects of an equation that will help to determine whether it has symmetry
- Ask class members to create equations with each type of symmetry and to verify them
- Assumes individuals know the definition of symmetry covered in another video
- This video is hosted on YouTube
- Determine graphically whether the graph may have a particular symmetry before algebraically proving it
- Includes the tests to use while checking for symmetry