West Side Story is widely known as a modern-day Romeo & Juliet. Learners read a list of characters from the play and list their counterparts from Romeo & Juliet before completing a vocabulary enrichment activity and word jumble. Pupils also answer discussion questions and engage in an interactive activity to keep the resource engaging and interesting.
- Have individuals create the art activity using recycled materials and then present their work to the class
- Lesson is based on a theatrical production of the story
- Assumes familiarity with Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet
- Have the film adaptation on hand for the lesson
- Contains a variety of activities for differentiation
- There is a lot of information packed onto each page, which can be overwhelming to readers