Explore the center of gravity with your science class as they create a deadfall trap with common materials. They research the concepts of energy conservation and gravitational force before dividing into small groups to create a model of a trap that could theoretically catch a predator. The activity concludes with data collection and analysis as well as a group-led discussion.
- Encourage the class to brainstorm ideas that could also model the concept of energy conservation to determine the average impact force
- Provide a calculator for all pupils
- Assist any learners as they complete the data table and write the final lab conclusion
- Hands-on application allows learners to gain insight while manipulating materials during the experiment
- Detailed instructions allow the class to perform the activity in small groups or as one large student-facilitated group