This Us vs. Them: The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 lesson plan also includes:
Immigration issues are nothing new. An interesting activity focuses on the racially motivated Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and its impact on the Chinese American community. Scholars read articles, analyze political cartoons, and participate in group discussion to better understand its impact. The activity also explores the ways immigration quotas have changed the Unites States immigrant communities.
- Have pupils create a political cartoon
- Arrange for learners to write newspaper articles explaining the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882
- Installment one of a consecutive three-part series titled Becoming US - Policy
- Lesson uses political cartoons to enhance learning
- Activities are completed in groups to increase engagement