This Understanding the Prison Label lesson plan also includes:
Break the chain. An engaging instructional activity examines why it is so hard to break free of the prison system in the US. Academics participate in a reader's theater, read primary sources, and discuss their thoughts. The instructional activity explains the hardships African American communities face regarding the prison system, such as negative bias as well as economic and social impact the prison system can have on African Americans and other minority groups.
- Guide a discussion on times pupils may have felt labeled or targeted
- Have learners research their states' prison statistics
- Installment eight of a 10-part series exploring Jim Crow Laws
- Lesson focuses on teaching empathy
- Provides an exit ticket to gauge students' understanding of the material