This The War on Drugs—Mechanisms and Effects lesson plan also includes:
The war on drugs doesn't have definite results. An interesting lesson examines the social, political, and economic effect of the war on drugs. Academics learn how the war on drugs has led to mass incarcerations and negatively affected ethnic groups such as African Americans. The resource uses text and multiple discussions to help scholars understand how the war on drugs has discriminated against minority groups and reinforced a social caste system.
- Discuss the pros and cons of the war on drugs
- Arrange for a lawyer or judge to speak to the class about the criminal justice system
- Installment six of a 10-part series called "Teaching the New Jim Crow"
- The exit ticket reinforces key concepts in the lesson
- Resource provides discussion strategies to help guide learners