This The Lowdown — Defining and Calculating Percents video also includes:
Don't discount the lesson. Part of The Lowdown: Real-World Math series, an engaging video shows viewers how to calculate percent discounts using the idea that percents are ratios out of 100. It also looks at how to determine whether a 20 percent off coupon or a $20 off coupon would be more lucrative. Scholars then take part in a classroom discussion about the video and what they learned.
- Have the class bring in ads showing percent discounts to use as examples
- Pupils should be aware of percents as ratios
- Activity requires the use of 10-by-10 grids
- Includes an optional extension activity
- Provides downloadable and printable worksheets