Could a white Christmas in July ever actually happen? PBS's series on space time and measurement presents a video discussing how our ideas about the seasons won't hold true forever! The narrator explains how Earth's gyroscopic behavior warrants the periodic addition of leap days and leap seconds to keep our seasons somewhat aligned with the upcoming equinox.
- Demonstrate the ideas in the video with a simple gyroscope if pupils are not familiar with how they move
- Use the resource to expand a lesson on Earth's tilt, rotation, and orbit
- Provide a quick review of Earth's movements relative to the sun before watching
- The content is interesting and engaging
- Models of Earth and the sun help younger viewers visualize the resource's main ideas