This Sports Physiology and Statistics lesson plan also includes:
If I want to build up my heart, where should I start? Science scholars use statistics in a sports physiology setting during an insightful experiment. Groups measure resting and active heart rates and develop a scatter plot that shows the correlation between the two as a measure of physical fitness.
- Have the class propose additional trials to include in the activity to further develop the heart rate profile
- Instruct groups to create a presentation of their findings to use as a fitness public service announcement
- If time is limited, assign only the first task and assess based upon the graphed results
- Each task builds upon the previous one to create a deeper understanding of statistical analysis
- The subject matter is interesting and relevant in both science and math classes
- Comes complete with printable worksheets and teaching strategies