The concept of solving integrals by substitution with trigonometric functions is modeled by a video designed for AP Calculus classes. The narrator works an example problem using substitution and shows that careful substitution makes evaluating integrals manageable.
- Provide the class several opportunities to determine what can be used for substitution
- Have the class begin to find the integral using the methods they know before introducing substitution
- Pupils should know how to integrate elementary functions
- The example shows how a complicated trigonometric function can be simplified through substitution
- The presenter highlights the portions he will substitute