This Recognize and Represent Proportional Relationships between Quantities: Ratio, Proportion, Cross Multiply, and Divide video also includes:
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
Review three video clips for one major concept. The resource contains three short clips to introduce the idea of ratios and proportions and how to solve a proportion. After watching the video, partners use their noses to push pom poms across the floor and express the distance to time as a ratio. The extension to the activity suggests changing the variables to provide multiple ratios to explore.
- Create ratios that exist within the class, such as boys to girls, brown eyes to blue eyes, etc.
- Lead a discussion on why the presented method of solving a proportion is mathematically sound
- Requires an open space on the floor
- One part of the Math at the Core MS: Ratios series
- Includes a set of discussion questions to use with the class
- Contains a list of materials needed for the activity