This Outward Bound assessment also includes:
Just how far can I see? The short assessment question uses the Pythagorean Theorem to find the distance to the horizon from a given altitude. Scholars use the relationship of a tangent segment and the radius of a circle to find the solution to the problem.
- Ask the class to graph the relationship between altitude and distance to the horizon
- Assumes students understand the tangent line is perpendicular to a radius
- The class must know the approximate radius of the Earth
- Includes a diagram to illustrate the problem in the answer key
- Designates the mathematical processes involved in the problem