This Math in Fencing: Distance as a Variable video also includes:
Out lunge the opponent. Fencing uses math in determining distances between opponents. An installment of the Math at the Core: Ratios series shows how to use variables to write an expression to show the distance a fencer must cover to score a point. Pupils determine their lunge distances and write ratios to compare different distances involved in the sport of fencing.
- Find an image of a lunge, so all class members use the same technique
- Requires yardsticks and measuring tapes for each group
- Individuals must be able to subtract distances measured in feet and inches
- Contains time suggestions for each part of the activity
- Includes examples of acceptable answers for open-ended questions