This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 22 lesson plan also includes:
Class members read "Satvagraha," the concluding section of Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science and analyze how the authors support their claim that terrible events can lead to positive change.
- Brainstorm with the class other tragedies that had lead to positive change
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- 21st in a 28-lesson unit that uses Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science as a central text
- The 10-age packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions with model responses, a quick write prompt, and a template with a completed sample of the analysis tool
- The lesson is designed to directly address Common Core reading standard RI.9-10.5
- Follows the same format as most of the other lessons in the unit