This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 20 lesson plan also includes:
After comparing the working conditions of the slaves to those of the Indian indentured workers on the sugar plantations, class members examine the conditions and the actions of certain historical figures that Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos contend brought to an end the Age of Sugar.
- Have groups investigate current sources of sugar and the working conditions of those involved in the production of sugar from these sources
- The central question of the day builds on concepts developed in the previous two lessons
- The 20th in a 29 lesson unit designed to directly address Common Core standards RI.9-10.2 and SL.9-10.1.c, d
- The unit uses Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science as a central text
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- The 22-page packet includes discussion questions with model high quality responses, and worksheets that identify some of the key figures in the saga os sugar