This Grade 10 ELA Module 1: Unit 3, Lesson 4 lesson plan also includes:
Vivid quotes and strong sensory language compose Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club, bringing the women to life as they navigate through issues surrounding identity and maternal relationships. Examine Waverly's relationship with her mother through the lens of chess tournaments with a lesson focused on collecting textual evidence to support a central theme.
- Assign a short journal prompt at the beginning of class about parental expectations, and how they can affect one's self esteem and identity
- Encourage class members to keep a log of quotes that contribute to the central idea in a reading binder, complete with blank versions of the tracking worksheets
- Though the unit only addresses part of the novel, you could assign the complete novel as individual reading
- If the additional reading component is overwhelming for your class, consider reserving that part until you have completed the novel unit
- Promotes critical thinking and close reading
- Includes a model tracking log to contribute to your discussion