This Complex Numbers as Vectors lesson plan also includes:
Show your math class how to use vectors in adding complex numbers. Vectors represent complex numbers as opposed to points in the coordinate plane. The class uses the geometric representation to add and subtract complex numbers and represent the solution geometrically. The sixth portion in a series of 32 continues on to have class members verify that the answers they get geometrically are the same as those they figured algebraically.
- Review translations on the coordinate plane
- Watch as the class members operate with vectors to ensure they are using the correct geometry to find the solution
- Be sure to be clear in referencing a vector versus a ray when using the same notation
- Scaffolding suggestions are for both advanced and struggling pupils
- The closing asks the class to write and explain the processes learned in the lesson