Get ready to play detective! The eighth video in a series of ten explains two types of chemical separation methods via chromatography. The class experiences how substances move and deposit, based on solubility, then how to compare the resulting data. Make this a must-see before or during your forensic chemistry unit!
- Demonstrate paper chromatographic separation of one of the substances mentioned as evidence, such as lipstick
- Your class should have working knowledge of solubility prior to viewing the resource
- Enable subtitles if possible to help learners take notes
- The resource discusses the use of chromatography to separate and identify drug evidence in forensic chemistry labs
- Paper chromatography is a popular Chemistry 1 lab; the video would make a great pre-lab assignment