This Buffon's Needle interactive also includes:
Find the needle on a lined paper. Pupils run a simulation of dropping a needle on a lined paper. The probability of the needle crossing at least one line is pi/2. After each trial, the interactive displays the approximation of pi based on the experimental probability of the needle's placement.
- Lead a discussion on whether the theoretical and the experimental probabilities will ever be the same
- The class should understand basic probability
- Individuals should know the value of pi
- The handout provides guidance on how to run the simulation
- Provides suggestions to the teacher of how to use the applet