This About Facebook lesson plan also includes:
If everyone is on Facebook, should the school's news publication be as well? Scholars study a social media giant in the 11th lesson from The Social Media Toolbox's 16-part series. The activity combines individual study and collaboration around the pros and cons of using Facebook as a means of news reporting.
- Create a list on the board of Facebook's strengths and weaknesses and have the class add to the list as they discover additional concerns
- Broaden the assignment to have pupils follow newsworthy organizations such as NASA or the EPA to see how they use Facebook
- Ask individuals to submit the name of the news organization they would like to follow to ensure the class looks at a diverse sample of pages
- Students should follow their organization of choice for at least one week
- The resource promotes careful and detailed observation of social media
- Extending the activity is easy, thanks to an open-ended observation time frame