Turn your class' focus on how wheelchairs assist individuals with disabilities to become more independent with this disabilities lesson plan. Scholars listen to a read aloud of the book, Zoom! by Robert Munsch, answer questions about key details from the text, work collaboratively to draw and create a story of their own, and compare and contrast the story they heard to another of similar subject.
- Create a flipped classroom assignment by assigning the link to the museum's homepage for a preview to what the class will discuss when they return to school
- Schedule a Disabilities Awareness Day at your school; conduct this lesson as part of the day's instruction
- Take a school tour to identify the areas on campus that are wheelchair friendly
- Visit the library or download the books, Zoom! by Robert Munsch and Rolling Along by James Riggio Heelan
- Drawing and writing materials are required
- Teacher directions are written in detail allowing for easy implementation