This Why Are Earthquakes so Hard to Predict? video also includes:
Cell phones to crowdsource vibrations to warn of incoming earthquakes? Detectors to register high levels of radon-thoron isotopes? After detailing the factors that make earthquakes so difficult to predict, the narrator of a fascinating video examines some of the technology being developed to predict these earth-shaking events.
- Have groups explore the links found in the resource
- Ask other groups to explore the validity of such prediction techniques as the "Missing Cats and Dogs" premise
- Another group might research the nearest fault lines or the schools earthquake preparedness policy
- The resource can be easily assigned for home viewing with class members returning for a full-class discussion of the video and the provided links
- The animation enables viewers to look below the Earth's surface to see how the various factors operate