This What's a GMO? lesson plan also includes:
What do you know about GMOs? Meet this trendy topic head on with a debate-centered research project. Science scholars work in groups to learn the facts about genetically modified organisms, create a dialog around their position on the topic, and deliver an argument based upon their findings.
- Display a selection of GMO and non-GMO fruits or vegetables so pupils can compare them as a part of their research
- Highlight key facts in research articles to keep this portion of the lesson moving smoothly
- Make enough copies of all articles so each group has information for both sides of the debate
- If your class is unfamiliar with structured debating, show one of the video resources listed in the teacher's guide
- The lesson is structured to ensure everyone has a role the entire time—great for classroom management!
- Teacher's guide is well-organized and includes strategies for customizing the lesson