This What Is the Solar System? video also includes:
How do scientists classify whether an object lies within our solar system or not? Examine the boundaries of the space neighborhood using a lesson from PBS's Space series for middle schoolers. After viewing a model of the solar system, scholars discuss their observations and work with data to find logical patterns.
- Pause the video when all of the planets are in a row and ask pupils to explain why this is not a good model of the solar system
- Use the solar system facts handout to engage the class in recognizing patterns in the data
- Students should be somewhat familiar with all of the planets in terms of name and appearance before beginning the lesson
- The resource shows a clear pattern of the composition of planets to help learners relate composition to how the planet formed and its current location
- Insightful teaching tips provide support and a wealth of ideas