This Verification lesson plan also includes:
When you're putting together a great story, you've got to consider the source! Scholars discover the dangers of errors in reporting during the 14th activity in a 16-part Social Media Toolbox series. Groups collaborate to create a source verification checklist for their publications to use as they write news stories.
- Open the lesson by displaying a recent story of a reporting error that resulted in repercussions for the reporter and the publication
- Encourage the group to begin creating a go-to source list to save time in verification
- Allow a little extra time for the brainstorming session, depending upon how familiar the class is with source verification
- Learners gain valuable experience in locating and evaluating sources based upon a set of criteria
- The resource presents the topic clearly