Neuroscientists and biologists study how we process our senses and the impact our receptors have on our food choices. The video, part of a food science series from PBS, highlights the nerves used in eating including the taste and olfactory receptors—but also how these nerves trigger emotions and social cues. The video also details how chefs use this knowledge to create new, tempting recipes.
- Discuss how food often tastes different when you have a stuffy nose
- Can stream online or download to view offline
- Discusses wine making and tasting, so consider the maturity of viewers
- Clearly explains the difference between taste and flavor
- Applies science to everyday experiences