This The Pilgrims: Native American Relationship to the Land video also includes:
An informative video sets the context for a lesson that asks young historians to consider how cultural values influence perspective. Groups compare the attitudes reflected in a journal entry of a member of the Plymouth Colony to those of the Wampanoag.
- Have groups research other instances where differing perceptions of an indigenous culture led to conflicts (Australian aboriginals, Maori New Zealanders, etc.)
- Includes a caution that some students, especially Native Americans, may find Mourt's journal upsetting
- Includes a link to customizable teaching tips for integrating the resources into your curricula
- A transcript of the video is also provided
- The video provides few specific examples of how the Native Americans used the land