This The Hate U Give lesson plan also includes:
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas became a quick hit in the young adult literature genre before its adaptation in the 2018 film of the same name. Use a thorough lesson, discussion guide, and series of activities to discuss the social themes of the novel, and to reveal the ways bias plays a part in everyone's perception.
- Connect to a social studies lesson on the history of racism and discrimination, including the slave revolt of Nat Turner and the 1955 murder of Emmett Till
- Use the other lessons linked in the extension section to fill out a larger unit
- Lesson is designed for readers ages 14 and up, but a mature eighth-grade class may be able to handle the subject matter
- Includes a list of websites for additional research
- Comes with a list of vocabulary words that are relevant to both the book and a lesson on social justice