This The First Thanksgiving Feast for Grades 3-5 lesson plan also includes:
Scholars examine the first Thanksgiving through books and interviews while they complete a KWL chart. Pretending they are part of the feast, learners craft a scrapbook page that features images related to their experience. Pupils reflect on and discuss their new-found knowledge in preparation for the lesson's final assessment. Learners show what they know by way of a writing assignment—an argumentative, expository, or narrative essay.
- Display completed scrapbook pages on a Thanksgiving-themed focus wall
- Invite class members to share their writing assignment with their peers using a cooperative learning strategy such as Mix, Pair, Share
- If applicable to your grade level's standards, combine the lesson with a unit on the American Colonies
- The third lesson of three takes a close look at the first Thanksgiving
- Requires devices with internet access, handouts, and scrapbook materials
- Offers optional setups and materials
- Lists two lesson extensions
- The lesson focuses on the history of the Pilgrim's first Thanksgiving, not the Native American's.