This Teacher's Guide: When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka study guide also includes:
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
Julie Otsuka's haunting novel, When the Emperor Was Devine, is the subject of a 14-page teacher's guide. The guide includes the text of an interview with Otsuka, background information about Japanese immigration to the United States, and chapter-by-chapter discussion questions. Of particular value are the questions related to the novel's themes.
- Assign the novel while pupils are studying World War II
- Compare Otsuka's novel to Farewell to Manzanar by James D. Houston and Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston
- The novel is frequently listed as an option for the free response section of the AP Literature and Composition exam
- Background information about Executive Order 9066, issued by President Franklin Roosevelt on February 19, 1942, is also included