This Teach This Poem: "When Fannie Lou Hamer Said" by Mahogany L. Browne lesson plan also includes:
After watching an excerpt from a video of Fannie Lou Hamer's testimony before Congress, pupils do a close reading of Mahogany L. Browne's poem "When Fannie Lou Hamer Said," annotate words and phrases that draw their attention and list questions they have about the poem. Readers then share their observations and consider what they believe Hamer was fighting for.
- Have groups investigate and share their findings on Rita Schwerner, Victoria Gray, and Anna Divine
- Also, ask students to investigate and report on current attempts at voter suppression
- Requires copies of the poem, one per participant
- The lesson can be adapted for remote or blended learning
- Includes suggested extension activities for grades 7 and 8 as well as suggestions for grades 9 through 12