Help learners find the most important information in a text with a lesson on summarizing. As kids read through a passage about Johannes Gutenberg, they summarize small excerpts, put events in sequential order, and respond to two longer questions that require them to refer to the text.
- Use the activity with your own informational text, or with a short story or parts of a novel
- Include the resource in a reading assessment for incoming learners or at the end of a grading term
- Cut out the events in the text and have kids physically put them in order based on what they have read and summarized
- Prompts learners to refer to the text for all activities, including their short answer questions, which would be good practice for a research essay or project
- Addresses a variety of reading skills that are important for both informational text and literature