This Starquest unit also includes:
Almost every ancient culture observed the stars and saw pictures in the patterns. Studying stars allowed them to guide travelers, determine when to plant crops, when to harvest food, and the stories surrounding the images include some of the oldest folk lore. Scholars select a constellation or celestial body and study how cultures have explained it over time. Then they create a presentation using technology to share with the larger community in a star party. The unit integrates many STEM topics.
- Visit a local planetarium
- Team teach with science, language arts, and social studies teachers
- Relies on prior knowledge of research skills, presentation software, and source citation
- Offers differentiation ideas for special needs students, gifted pupils, and ELLs
- Provides rubrics for each step of the project
- Offers suggestions for related apps on Andriod, iOS, and Windows