Communication is key. Eight sample items show how important communication and reasoning is for sixth grade mathematics. Part of the Claim 2-4 slide show series, the presentation uses concepts from fifth and sixth grade to illicit responses from pupils that show reasoning and the ability to evaluate the reasoning of others. Teachers use the resource to guide them in requiring more than just the answer during instruction.
- Place items on posters around the room and have class members write justifications for the answers
- Encourage discussions about justifications when working example problems in the classroom
- The class should be comfortable with the skills within the sixth grade curriculum
- Provides a variety of items from different domains
- Includes answer keys for consistent grading