Recognize the base. Part of a larger Algebra I series, the short video highlights the importance of recognizing the base to simplify expressions with exponents. In doing so, pupils notice the basic property that uses negative exponents.
- Provide several opportunities for the class to practice simplifying expressions
- Lead a discussion on the differences in simplification if parentheses were added in different locations
- Pupils should understand the rule of exponents
- Uses colors to highlight the aspects involving negative exponents
- Includes a list of the exponent properties