This Screenplays video also includes:
The biggest blockbuster of the year, the funniest romantic comedy, and the most emotional independent film all started in the same way: on the page. Young filmmakers learn about the role of the screenplay, as well as important parts of the script itself and the ever-important advice to show, don't tell.
- Assign the video for learners to watch at home before returning to class to discuss what they viewed
- Use as an introduction to a screenwriting project in which individuals, partners, or groups work together to come up with an original screenplay
- Narration moves quickly; consider pausing periodically to elaborate
- The first part of a Crash Course film production series within a larger playlist on film
- A good introduction to the craft of screenwriting
- References both classic and modern films, such as The Wizard of Oz (1939) to explain the three-act structure and Bridesmaids (2011) to explain internal and external conflict