This Puerto Rican Perspectives lesson plan also includes:
Puerto Ricans are wholly American, but their history with the United States has been one of tumult. Using clips from a PBS documentary, viewers consider the history of the island and Puerto Rico's contributions to the mainland United States. Extension options include examining voting trends among Puerto Ricans and the Nuyorican identity.
- Use the lesson during Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations
- Discuss the experiences of Puerto Ricans coming to the mainland using video clips from PBS's Latino Americans and reflection questions
- Learners need access to video and Internet
- Options for extension allow for discussion of current events
- Videos are well-produced and interesting with engaging visuals