Charles Darwin's work, On The Origin of Species, fundamentally changed the study of science. Using clips from an author talk, young historians connect the scientific ideas behind evolution to American history. Afterward, they consider: How does science influence politics?
- Use clips to stimulate discussion of the significance of On the Origin of Species
- Teachers need to create a free C-SPAN account to view the three video segments or use the credentials: Username - students, password - C-SPANCLASSROOM
- Learners need some background on Darwin to appreciate the discussion in the videos
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Video connects two seemingly unrelated ideas
- Clips are short and easy to integrate into lesson plans