This Myth of the West: The Battle of the Washita lesson plan also includes:
Go West, young man! Scholars use PBS video clips, slide shows, and interactive materials to create a picture of Manifest Destiny in the American West. Using a variety of primary and secondary sources, young historians learn about the Battle of the Washita, the tension between Native American tribes during the time of the Indian Wars, the myths of cowboys and Indians, and the harsh realities of the Policy of Indian Removal. Investigating the wealth of links and resources will provide learners with a solid knowledge base about this time in America's past, helping them to distinguish between myths and reality.
- Create research teams to investigate the issues of Manifest Destiny
- Pose the question does Manifest Destiny still exist in the minds of Americans?
- If you work through all of the provided links, lessons, and activities, you will need more than 2 class periods
- Resource provides a printable worksheet on Manifest Destiny
- Printable slide show is perfect for classroom use