This Looking at Numbers of Births Using a Line Graph activity & project also includes:
Was there a baby boom? Using census data, class members take a look at the number of 8-11 year olds and determine their birth years. Scholars create a double line graph to compare the number of births for two states for several years. Graphing the data requires mathematicians to determine a scale and title for their graphs.
- Lead a discussion on scales of graphs
- Standards address line plots in both grades but with fractional scales
- The class should be comfortable working with large numbers
- Includes sample responses
- Provides direction for the teacher before, during, and after the activity