This Ken Burns: Jackie Robinson - A Journey Back to Separate but Equal Conditions lesson plan also includes:
Baseball great Jackie Robinson fought for social justice. His efforts to push for equal access are detailed in an episode from from the Ken Burns: The Jackie Robinson Collection. After viewing the clip, class members engage in a series of activities that help clarify their understanding of Robinson's contributions as well as of implicit and explicit racism.
- Review the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, the United States Supreme Court Brown v. Board of Education case, and implicit and explicit racism before showing the film clip
- Each of the 11 clips in the Ken Burns: Jackie Robinson Collection address a specific theme and point in Robinson's life; preview the clips to determine those most appropriate for your unit of study
- Check out these other lessons in the series
- Establish a protocol for a safe, respectful discussion of emotionally charged issues
- Class members are encouraged to consider ways to address implicit racism